If you have cats, you probably know the kind of damage they can do if they are not taught to only scratch on their cat scratching post or cat scratching pad. We have had a problem with the cats not wanting to scratch their cat scratching post, because they really enjoy the feeling of sinking their claws into the soft wood work around all the doors inside the house.
I have tried everything I could find, and tried all the tricks that I read about online but nothing worked. Until I found a good book that was written by a cat trainer (Paula Robb) with the techniques that finally helped me solve this problem.
1. The first thing we tried was the good old spray bottle with water in it. This did a good job of stopping them if they were caught in the act, but did nothing when we were sleeping or not at home. The damage continued!
2. The second thing we tried was putting a citrus solution in the spray bottle, and spray that on the area’s where they like to scratch. Everyone says that cats don’t like the smell and taste when they lick their paws and will stay away from the sprayed spots. We found that for this to work we had to spray the spots every couple of hours, other wise they would come back. The damage continued!
3. The third thing we tried was the double sided tape. The cats were curious about the tape, and the only thing it did was make the cats scratch right next to the tape instead of their spot they liked under the tape. The damage continued!
4. Next we tried putting foil over the area’s where they like to scratch, basically taping the foil up, but it was always falling down and once the cats figured out they could remove it, that’s exactly what they did. The damage continued!
5. Next we decided to try some cat nip all over the cat scratching post. This did get them interested at first, but after a few minutes the curiosity ended and they went back to their old habits. The damage continued!
6. Our next step was a little more money. Soft Paws, little vinyl covers that you glue onto their claws so they are no longer sharp. For one thing, they didn’t like having them on, and it was a battle trying to get them on, and they were always trying to get them off. The pictures you see online of cats just laying around with them on isn’t the way it was at our house. After a couple of days pretty much all the front soft paw covers were gone, and most of them we could not find. That was $ 20 for the two cats and money down the drain. The damage continued!
7. I decided to get a couple of books about this problem and try their tips and tricks, and see what I could do. I bought one that was fairly cheap from amazon and checked a couple out from the library, but nothing they had to say worked. Damage continued!
8. One day while searching online for a solution I ran across a Complete Cat training guide that had a No questions asked 100% guarantee. Its a eBook that you download, so I could have it as soon as I enter my payment info and download the book. This book covers a lot more than just cat scratching problems, and helped us take care of a couple more of our cat problems. Like not always going in the litter box, and running outside when the door was opened. I also learned about some good recipes for their food. I make up a batch of treats for them sometimes on Sundays.
Now, I almost didn’t buy these books because they aren’t cheap! It was $ 37 for the four books and included a personal email consultation with the trainers if you have a problem. I had already spent a lot more than that trying to take care of this problem, and if you count the damage it was much more than that. If it didn’t work I could just get a refund, and because I downloaded it I would still have the books on my computer, so what did I have to lose?
I have to tell you that we were considering getting rid of our cats because of these problems, but the methods in the training books actually worked and now we have bonded more with the cats, and they like to spend time with us most all the time. I cant tell you enough how happy we are, and the only thing is I wish I would have just spent the money in the first place instead of trying to be cheap and trying everything else first.
We are now happy Cat Owners! All of the bad habits that our cats had have been taken care of and now our cats will actually do a couple of tricks just like our dog. Its looks really cool with the dog in the middle with a cat on each side,they will sit and twirl and lay down all at the same time!
I recommend going here for more info and a link to the books that I used! Stop Cat Scratching Before you waste time and money on all of the things that I did!
Related Cat Training Articles